Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sloppy sleep

I love sleeping. Languishing in bed... yawning... dreaming... Ahhh! Heaven. I should have been born a cat. And a house cat at that. Cats sleep with such grace and luxury, I envy them. And not the slightest hint of guilt at their aristocratic lifestyle. Lucky bums. Oh, to be a cat. That is the life. Sleep, glorious sleep.... what decadence! What an elegant stride... what a magnificent form... and the sheer opulence of the way they stretch. Ah, I wish I were a cat. Hmmm.... anyway, the point I was trying (before my slight diversion) to make is this- I'm not getting enough of it! Today, I was up from eight, because I was cuddling with my mum. Of course she let me laze till nine, but once I was up, she let the bombshell drop. I have to be up at seven from tomorrow! When I protested, she told me to go to sleep earlier. It's not nice, she said, for us to be sprawled in bed when the lady comes in to mop the floor and wash clothes. She's right, I know, but I so badly want sleep that I argued and argued. Go to sleep earlier, was her solution. I get her point. I myself, don't think seven is early in the morning. Six is a normal hour to wake up... five can be considered early. Of late, though, since I've been in college, I've been going to sleep around two in the morning on a regular basis... and I cannot sleep in the afternoon. No matter what I do, I cannot- unless I'm utterly exhausted. So, she's right. I have to sleep earlier. I whined. That's not fair! I can't keep in touch with anyone if I go to bed so early! But in the end, I must admit she's right. I need to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. Have the whole day ahead of me. Sigh. I just wish everyone else would do the same!! I hate missing out on stuff! But it cannot be helped...

11 comments:

Shubathra said...

Yes I totally agree with you . We people, want to sleep late at night because that is the time our friends come on line but we cant tell your parents that , they just wont agree with what we are saying. so we,people have to just take the basha our parents are telling us . so my advice to you is when you are in heaven do all these things so parents cant tell you"Don't sleep late in the morning wake up you lazy lump of lard !!!" Initially up there we are like cats lazy, free to do what we want just like cats . so don't worry Gitanjali soon it will be your turn to be a lazy cat .

Daughter of the Night said...

Hi, babes. You don't seem to have got what I was saying, doll... I was agreeing with mama and papa. Much as I hate waking up in the morning, it's nice to have a whole day before one. Love.

Roshan George said...

"It's not nice, she said, for us to be sprawled in bed when the lady comes in to mop the floor and wash clothes"

Ah ha, I used to love mopping the floor. Funnest chore ever. Problem solved.

Wash clothes. So long as procedure involves washing machine, problem solved once more.

Daughter of the Night said...

Yes, that was the other option. I said I'd do that, but she said the woman has to come in anyway for everyone else's work, so I can't be lying about there.

Roshan George said...

I would also like to respectfully disagree with all this 6 o'clock business. I'm sorry, but it is simply not acceptable.

It should be made illegal and alarm clocks should come with statutory warnings about hours earlier than 8.

dark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dark said...

I have always been a "relatively" late riser all my life. My mother my father and all my "well wishers" complained but I persisted. Not that I was really happy about it but not very sad either....
In my college life I lived in a residential college and by the sheer willingness of god, I could very well manage myself till 9 :00 in the bed.
Then I moved to the other half of the world and resolved "meekly" that I will start everything afresh. But lo and behold the graduate courses that I had to take all started in the afternoon....
So being a believer I followed the golden path that was destined for me.....:)

Daughter of the Night said...

Ha ha...
Brilliant!

More believers in the lazy bum philosophy!

Grumblebunny: Why should we have alarm clocks at all? They're sadistic devices.

Dark: Lucky you... I am unfortunately forced to rise at least at eight to make it to my classes on time! Bleah!

Nowhere Man said...

You have company, love. I can't sleep beyond eight here. Though I more than made up for that in the week at your house :)

Roshan George said...

Dark: It is gratifying to know that we are not alone in the war against Punctuality. I, too, achieved 9 am in bed frequently.

G: Indeed, I agree. One must wake when one feels like it. Anything else puts your chi out of kilter.

dark said...

Thank you thank you George,
It really brings me immense joy to see a comrade sticking to his/her ideology and not giving up to the heartless masochists...
The bed is the only place in the whole world where my subconscious mind( and all the weird things therein) surface up into my dreams.
It is the holiest place where I meet myself.... and how stupid it is to interrupt such a nice meeting with a noisy shrill alarm clock :)